This multi-day course is designed to prepare gun owners to carry a firearm with confidence and competence.
Includes: Safety and Weapons Awareness; Pistol Ready Positions; Fundamentals (stance, grip, holster draw, sight alignment, trigger press, recoil management, follow through, economy of motion, self-critique); Treating a Malfunction; Live Fire Progression Drills; Combat and Tactical Reloads; Drawing from a Holster; Low Light/No Light Shooting; Combat Reload while holding a Light; Key Components to Carrying a Concealed Weapon; Carry Location Options (i.e. waist, ankle, purse, etc.); Real World Scenario Based Training (Airsoft scenarios)
Range Equipment Requirements
- Range appropriate clothing (closed-toe shoes, pants, t-shirt)
- Weather appropriate layering (time of year, location dependent)
- Eye protection (both dark and clear with shatterproof lenses)
- Hearing protection (double ear protection is optimal)
- Sturdy belt
- Pistol for use in classroom and range demonstrations
- Magazines (4 minimum)
- Holster and magazine pouches (2-3)
- Hand-held light
- Head lamp
- Ammunition: approx. 1,500 rounds
- Range bag
- Note pad and pen
- Snacks, water for range
- Energy bars
- Sun screen
- Personal medications if any (Please notify instructor of any medical conditions)
*NOTE ON FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION: You will need one handgun with a 6-round or greater carrying capacity (revolver or semi-auto) that you are comfortable firing 1,500 rounds through over the course of 3 days. This will be your “primary” handgun throughout the training where the focus is developing the fundamentals.
Though not necessary to take the Carry Guard Level 1 course, if you have a second handgun of any size and type that you carry (or may carry) concealed, please bring that as well.
All students will need to bring 1,500 rounds of new or factory reloaded remanufactured Full Metal Jacketed (FMJ) ammunition.
Additionally, if you bring one firearm, bring 40 rounds of the factory defensive carry ammunition of your choice for it.
If you bring two firearms, bring 20 rounds of factory defensive carry ammunition of your choice for each firearm (40 total).